Sunday, July 1, 2012

POINTERS FOR EATING OUT

Pointers For Eating Out -- originally posted by Missy Yi at http://skinnyfork.blogspot.com/

I’m a bit of a control freak (any ex-boyfriends reading this post can stop laughing).  Okay, I’m a big control freak.  That’s why I love cooking so much.  I like to know exactly what’s going in my tummy.  It’s not always possible to eat my own cooking, though.  I’m fortunate to always have healthy meals available (little plug for Skinny Fork here), but eating out is as much a social event as it is a necessity.Birthdays, holidays, business meetings…they can all involve ordering from a menu.  So this post is dedicated to proving you don’t have to be a food-hermit to eat healthy and gluten-free.

Pointers for dining out healthy and gluten-free:
  • Order your proteins “broiled” or “grilled.”  These methods typically involve the least amount of added fat and minimal seasoning (i.e., less risk of gluten).
  • Order your vegetables and rice “steamed.”
  • Order potatoes “baked” and “dry.”
  • Say NO to "breaded" and "battered."  These are guaranteed to be laden with fat and gluten.
  • I love me some condiments.  Ask for these on the side, and use them on your proteins, vegetables and potatoes.
  1. Olive oil - It's heart healthy, a little dribble goes a long way to adding "mouth feel."  Ask for it even if you don’t order a salad.
  2. Balsamic or malt vinegar (NOT vinaigrettes, which is a dressing) - If it’s not on the table, ask the server nicely (nice goes a long way).  He/She can probably get some for you from the kitchen.  They’re great sprinkled on vegetables and rice.  Acids are flavor enhancers (like salt) when used in moderation.  Just don’t go overboard and pickle your meal, unless that’s the affect you’re going for.  Food Geek Note: As an added bonus, the acetic acid in vinegar inhibits the production of amylase, the digestive enzyme that breaks down carbs, so some of the potatoes and rice may pass through your GI tract, unused.
  3. Mustard - This is my fave.  Again, ask for it if it’s not on the table.  Grab a couple yellow packets of sweetener from the table and mix it with the mustard for a sweet and tangy dressing.  I put this on everything, even at home.
  4. Hot sauce - Ask for it if it’s not on the table.
Most importantly, TELL your server you have a serious food allergy to gluten (technically Celiac Disease is an intolerance, but I like to keep stuff simple).  Typically, this gets their attention better than "I don't eat stuff with x,y,z."  This tactic is also very useful if you've chosen to eat healthy and someone's persistantly pushing a bowl of ice cream in your direction.  Tell them you're allergic.  I know I'm allergic to ice cream.  It makes me break out in cellulite.
      
Now that you’re armed with information, go out, enjoy the company of loved ones, and eat healthy and gluten-free.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment